By stimulating the central nervous system, acupuncture releases chemicals into the brain, spinal cord, and muscles that promote healing to aching joints, sore muscles, or other injured areas. When choosing an acupuncturist, be sure to select one who is a licensed practitioner like the medical providers at Lakewood Chiropractic PC in Lee's Summit, MO. Keep reading to learn more information about holistic treatment and if it might be right for you.
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is the insertion of thin and metallic needles into your body to stimulate the central nervous system with the goal of increasing the body's natural healing abilities and improving your physical and emotional health. Deriving from centuries-old traditional Chinese medicine techniques, acupuncture has had incredible success at treating pain, enhancing stress management, and improving wellness. Today, acupuncture is predominantly used to alleviate pain associated with a number of ailments, which include labor pain, neck issues, menstrual cramps, headaches, chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting, respiratory issues, osteoarthritis, and more.
What Happens During Acupuncture?
Prior to performing acupuncture, we start by determining the areas of your body that are painful so that we can best react to those areas. During the procedure, acupuncture points will be positioned across your body and may even be in areas that don't offer any pain. Once done, very thin needles will be inserted at different depths and points on your body. Generally, you may feel a slick prick when the needle is inserted and the presence of the needles as they reach specific depths, but it is not considered painful. Sessions can last up to an hour and the needles may remain in place for 10 to 20 minutes while your body relaxes.
For more information on acupuncture and to learn if it might be a good fit for you, give the team at Lakewood Chiropractic PC in Lee's Summit, MO a call today at 816-373-3373. We'll take the time to educate you about our practice, introduce you to our team of talented chiropractors, and answer any questions that you have about acupuncture or other specific treatment options.
Acupuncture is a healing technique of traditional Chinese medicine and is used to treat painful musculoskeletal conditions. It is also used to improve sleep, digestive function, allergies, and other bodily functions.
Conditions treated by acupuncture:
- Musculoskeletal pain such as back pain, neck pain, joint pain, arthritis, sciatica, carpal tunnel and pain from disc conditions
- Soft tissue conditions such as tendonitis, trigger points, injured muscles and ligaments, and muscle spasms
- Headaches, sinusitis, earaches, and allergies
- Gastrointestinal diseases such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Crohn’s disease, ulcers, chronic constipation, and gastritis
What to expect at your treatment:
- Dr. Hong, licensed in acupuncture, will first conduct a health history and assessment
- After assessing, Dr. Hong will recommend a treatment plan
- During your treatment you will lay comfortably on a treatment table while acupoints are stimulated
- Most people feel no or minimal discomfort as the fine needles are gently placed
- The needles are usually retained between five and 30 minutes while you relax
If you are experiencing pain or any of the above conditions, contact us today for a consultation at 816-373-3373 or request an appointment online. We look forward to helping provide you relief from your pain and restoring normal body function.